Skip to Main Content Skip to bottom Skip to Chat, Email, Text

Resolutions services

The University has established specific processes for students to submit complaints and for them to addressed timely and thoroughly.

Resolution Services oversees the student complaint process and provides a mechanism by which students receive an independent, objective review of the issue(s).

The Student Grievances and Dispute Resolution Policy can be found in the Academic Catalog. The policy is intended to address disputes between a student and the University and creates a framework by which a student and the University can utilize internal processes before filing a formal grievance.

Students are encouraged to first work directly with the relevant University department to resolve their issue, but should they need additional assistance they may contact Resolution Services.

Resolution Services reviews comments and concerns from students and works diligently to address all areas identified. 

Contact us

While we prefer statements be submitted in writing via email, you may also contact our office by phone or fill out the form below.

Please provide the following to

  • Your first and last name and student individual record number (IRN- #######)
  • Preferred contact information and method of contact
  • A brief explanation of the issue you are having
  • The steps you have taken to resolve the issue with the relevant University department
  • Your desired outcome
  • Any additional information you believe would be helpful in resolving the issue

Resolution Services – Student Resolutions
4035 S. Riverpoint Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: 602.557.5566

Filing a complaint externally

Accreditation standards

University of Phoenix has been continually accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) since 1978. HLC has its own process for complaints regarding a member institution’s ability to meet its Criteria for Accreditation. Please see information on how to submit a complaint to HLC which also provides information on the type of complaints HLC will review.

Distance education students

University of Phoenix is approved by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) as a SARA participating institution ( The University has reciprocity with other SARA states for its distance education programs. Please visit the NC-SARA website for the most current list of states that participate in SARA. 

Distance education students may file a complaint through the University’s internal grievance process by submitting the complaint to Resolution Services.  Students may also file a complaint with the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. After exhausting the institution’s internal complaint process and the complaint process of the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education, distance education students residing in a SARA state may appeal a complaint to the Arizona SARA Council (AZ SARA). The Arizona SARA Council will not review complaints regarding student grades, student code of conduct violations, or complaints beyond two-years of the incident. For more information  visit the AZ SARA Council website. 

Local campus students

University of Phoenix is regulated by various state regulatory bodies for filing complaints in the state that a student resides. If a campus based student chooses to file a complaint, he or she can submit an internal complaint to the University’s Resolution Services and/or file an external complaint with the designated state regulatory agency. 

In writing:

Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
1400 W. Washington, Room 260
Phoenix, AZ 85007

By phone:

On the Internet:

In writing:

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
PO Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798-0818

By phone:
888.370.7589 or 916.431.6959

On the Internet:

In writing:

Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
Office of the Attorney General
Office of the Consumer Counsel, 2nd floor
Juan A. Sablan Memorial Buildings, Capitol Hill
Saipan, MP 96950

By phone:

On the internet:

In writing:

Visit: or
Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization Program
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 541
Honolulu, HI 96809

By phone:

In writing:

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
P.O. Box 12788
Capitol Station, Austin, TX 78711

By phone:

On the Internet:

Rules Governing Student Complaints:

View Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110-1.120